HitmanN.net Forum Index HitmanN.net
The place of things cute'n sexy!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arrow Clash (v0.235)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HitmanN.net Forum Index -> Arrow Clash!, online PC game (Playable!)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitmanN
Level 22

Coinage 2752.55
Legend Upkeep

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Arrow Clash (v0.235) Reply with quote

Here's another project I've worked on with Multimedia Fusion 2. It's an online game.

The following is copy-pasta from the project page at The Daily Click:
http://create-games.com/project.asp?id=1906

Arrow Clash

Description:

Back in the DOS/Shareware era, cave fliers were a popular genre, at least here in Finland. Since then I haven't seen many new cave fliers. To honor the good ol' genre, this is my contribution.

Basic components of a Cave Flier have usually been
-Ships affected by gravity and damaged by terrain
-Lots of weapons to choose from
-Landing Pads to repair, restock and switch weapons
-Destructible terrain

Destructible terrain has to be excluded for now, since it's not very well supported with scrolling present, but to make up for it, I'm making this my first online multiplayer experiment, then use that experience to eventually 'online-multiplayerize' my other project "Tank Game".

Originally the game was split-screen for two people, since it wasn't meant to be online originally, but with online modes the split screen is not needed, so expect a full screen view instead for the online product.

Oh, and the game's interface and look so far is very much inspired, if not directly copied, from my favorite cave flier of all time, Rocket Chase, which is freeware now, so I can recommend giving it a try if you can run DOS games (like with DOSBox, or on an older machine).

Basic Gun - Always equipped:

Your ship's basic weapon fires tiny medium-speed projectiles. There's plenty of ammo for this weapon when you're fully stocked, and it does decent damage. Due to the projectiles' speed though, it takes a bit of practice to aim the weapon.

Special Weapons (so far):

Double Rocket
Two rockets are fired, highly affected by the ship's movement and direction. Don't try to use it when turning, or you might hit yourself!

Bombs
Small bombs are launched from the back of the ship. Not very powerful, but can be launched in large quantities. Excellent at slowing down pursuers or dropping down on unsuspecting foes below.

Machinegun
Shoots fast projectiles at rapid pace. Not very powerful, but fairly easy to aim.

Shotgun
Shoots a bunch of small projectiles in a cone-shape formation. A single projectile isn't powerful, but a well-placed shotgun blast can do some serious damage. Watch out for the recoil when you fire!

Dizzy Gas
Deals no damage, but if it hits an opponent, their left and right controls are reversed for four seconds! Mess up your opponent's orientation and then pew-pew them to death with your basic gun.

Firecracker
Launches a projectile that keeps spreading smaller projectiles around it while it's in air. The smaller projectiles equal the damage of the basic gun, so there's potential for a lot of damage when utilized correctly. The main projectiles itself doesn't do much damage.

Anti-gravity Bubble
Hit your opponent with this weapon, and their ship's gravity will be reversed for 15 seconds. See if your opponents are as good with avoiding ceilings as they are with floors.

Phaseblade
A spinning green blade is shot forward. The blade passes through everything, and causes plenty of continuous damage to ships. The blade's trajectory is affected by your ship's movement as well, and is thus difficult to utilize at times, but the potential damage is lethal if you can get an opponent to stay in touch with the blade for long.

Special Weapons (usable, but consider them beta):

Psychic Wave
Player's ship releases a short distance wave, which violently pushes other ships within the wave's reach away from the player. Doesn't cause any direct damage, but can be used to push opponents against walls for potentially big collision damage.

Energy Bouncer
A small ball of energy is fired forward, which bounces off walls. The ball doesn't do much damage, but can be fired at a decent rate. The projectiles last for 8 bounces, or when they hit an opponent.

Freezer Crystals
A small, harmless looking particle is fired. Upon reaching a wall or an opponent, the projectile expands into a stack of ice crystals. This weapon can be used to cage enemies or to create obstacles. The ice crystals can be destroyed with some damage, and they also slowly melt away on their own.

Landing Pads:

When you park your ship on a landing pad, you'll get the following benefits:
-You can switch special weapon with your main and secondary fire buttons.
-Your ship's armor/health is slowly restored.
-Your ship's fuel is quickly refilled.
-Your basic gun's ammo is restocked at a decent rate.
-Your special weapon's ammo is restocked slowly.

Remember that when you're landed, your firing buttons are used to switch weapons, so you can't shoot!

Tactics

Arrow Clash is all about balancing being aggressive/ruthless and defensive. When you're low on HP, fuel or ammo, it may be worth it to turn tail and quickly land on a landing pad for momentary refill. Usually the opportunity doesn't last long, so be prepared to return to battle when the opponent(s) find you.

When you're defeated, it's best to immediately go after the same opponent, as they're likely low on HP or ammo and attempting to restock.

Landing Pads are not safe zones, so don't hesitate to shoot anyone landed on one. After all, they've landed in order to be able to kill you more efficiently. Wink

When escaping, weapons such as Dizzy Gas, Anti-grav Bubble and Freezer Crystals are excellent distractors. Gas messes up the chaser's orientation, anti-grav bubble gives you more time to land on the landing pads in lower parts of the map, because the bubble floats the opponent upwards, and Freezer Crystals can be used to momentarily stop enemies or create obstacles for them.

For run-n-gun attacks, Shotgun and Psychic Wave are ideal. The closer you are, and the better your timing/aim, the more damage you'll cause.

Checker Application

Arrow Clash comes with a 'Checker application', which basically checks if there are players online, without having to start the actual game. The application can be set to:

* auto-update every 15 seconds
* the window to be 'always on top'
* sound an alarm when there are players
* to be hidden in tray
* display notifications about active players from tray (if in tray)

All in all, it's handy if you want to wait for other people to join without idling in the game itself.

DOWNLOAD:
http://www.create-games.com/download.asp?id=8206

(latest version will always be available on the same page)

Screenshots:

Last edited by HitmanN on Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
HitmanN
Level 22

Coinage 2752.55
Legend Upkeep

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention that the game automatically joins a specific room, so you'll always be in the same place as other players, whenever someone is online.

...which doesn't happen often enough. sweat drop

It was rather miraculous to have five people playing after the v0.234 release.
entropiCCycles
That crazy hexagon

Coinage 464.35
Legend Upkeep

Has voted in this topic:No

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks interesting.
I'm looking forward to meeting somebody else in the game. sweat drop

And holy crap I have emote: entropiCCycles :O
HitmanN
Level 22

Coinage 2752.55
Legend Upkeep

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best time to find me and a few semi-regulars online is late evening and early night, European time. That's just a rough estimation though. I often keep the checker application running most of the day, and jump in if someone else shows up.

Tonight was fun. Had a nearly two-hour match, two people teamed up against me, since I tend to win most of the time. I still ended up with a top score, but boy did I get chased all the time. Ex-dee!
entropiCCycles
That crazy hexagon

Coinage 464.35
Legend Upkeep

Has voted in this topic:No

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, those last few games were fun, though I'm still trying to get used to steering and, more importantly, not crashing into the walls. Though steering also impacts aiming quite a bit, too. sweat drop

And holy crap I have emote: entropiCCycles :O
HitmanN
Level 22

Coinage 2752.55
Legend Upkeep

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there's really just three things worth learning, as priority.

1) Learn to pay attention to movement. When flying down, don't use engines unless you need to. And it's usually best to turn the ship to face an upward position well in advance, before slowing the fall or making a turn, to be able to react to sudden events. If you feel like you're going too fast, you ARE going too fast. It's better to be left behind by a loony opponent than hit a wall head-on while trying to match their speed.

2) Lag affects the game. Aim all weapons in front of the opponent.

3) Play aggressively, but don't neglect landing pads. If you're in bad shape, it's worth it to land momentarily. Unless it's a heated battle, there's usually enough time to get a 5-10HP repair at least, before the opponent reaches you. Then again, one basic gun bullet does 4HP damage, so being a sitting duck on the landing pad isn't good either. xP Best way is to land briefly, then pick some movement hindering special weapon, like Anti-Grav Bubble, Dizzy Gas or Freezer Crystals, shoot the opponent with them, and as soon as it's a confirmed hit, retreat to a landing pad while the opponent is disoriented or immobile. When you eventually die, the first task immediately is to go after the same opponent again, before they have time to repair. Arrow Clash is ideally meant for such pacing. When a duel concludes, the next battle doesn't begin fairly. The loser has full stock, and is expected to use the advantage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HitmanN.net Forum Index -> Arrow Clash!, online PC game (Playable!) All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: